www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Foundation relationships with publishing bodies
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:23:29 GMT
Not providing attribution is definitely Not Good.

We don't mind people taking our doc's wholesale, but they
for sure should indicate where they obtained them. Nor do
I think royalties are in order; simply attribution and
acknowledgement is fine.

On Feb 21, 2014, at 8:13 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi legal-discuss@,
>
> I'm writing to this list as, although response has been great, I have struggled somewhat
to obtain answers on other lists. The lists I've been to so far are trademarks@ and fundraising@
and the threads can be found at [0] and [1] respectively.

> SCENARIO
> The issues is as follows: shortly before Christmas I was approached by employees of Packt
Publishing to review a book proposal. At that time I wrote to the publishing managers advising
them that a huge portion of material had been ripped directly from the Nutch wiki with no
mention of credit to original authors. It was disappointing to find that my comments were
ignored and it was therefore at this point I asked for my name to be removed from any association
with this book. As it turns out, the book was recently been published with the exact content
I was referring to included. There is also no mention of original authors contributions. The
trademark attribution is also extremely weak.

> QUESTIONS
>  * Generally speaking, is this OK? Does anyone have general comments on the above?
>  * Do we have a foundation policy in place regarding the licensing of our wiki content?
e.g. Are our communities wide open and vulnerable to situations like the above or are there
some safeguards in place?
>  * What relationship do we have (if any at all) with publishers using Apache trademarks
and our community generated documentation, the latter in such plagiarist manner?
>  * What royalties does the foundation get from publishers who are making money from OUR
community documentation? Are we getting a good deal in this regard? Are we being bent over
and taken for a ride? It would appear to me that plagiarizing wiki content, packaging it as
your own and publishing it is an extremely trivial task. The foundation should therefore also
benefit from this outcome.

> These are just some of the questions which are unanswered. It would be very much appreciated
if those with any input would voice it here.