www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: License question for scripting language frontend
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2014 19:59:01 GMT
On 31. Jänner 2014 at 18:24:31, Shivaram Venkataraman (shivaram@eecs.berkeley.edu) wrote:
> rJava is currently licensed as
> GPLv2 [1]. Would it be okay if rJava was licensed as >=
> GPLv2 instead of just GPLv2 ? We can get in touch  with the
> author to request re-licensing the package if that will help us
> include SparkR in Apache Spark.

Hey Shivaram,

I’d go for the jugular and say that GPL effectively prohibits their code being used everywhere,
giving this as an example. In my experience approaching people with a polite & reasoned
example is usually sufficient to trigger an “Aha” moment. A polite request with an ALv2
suggestion may well be all it takes.

IANAL but I’d be surprised if any GPL variant is able to go into an ASF project. I will
defer to more experienced heads for an authoritative statement however.

Good luck!

A+
Dave