www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cryptography audit for Twill
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2014 18:37:33 GMT
When considering adding features based on cryptography for Apache HBase I
posted a query on this mailing list and received an "IANAL" answer, which
was unfortunately unhelpful. We can forgive Twill for taking a maybe overly
conservative position given what we have here is another volunteered
personal opinion. I share that view but my opinion is worthless because I
am neither a lawyer, nor one representing the Foundation. The material on
http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html carries this ominous disclaimer:

"Note - the regulations covering US export control laws for encryption were
changed on June 25th 2010. This page describes the previous process. Until
an updated version has been drawn up and approved by the Apache VP Legal
Affairs, projects should check with the legal-discuss list before
proceeding."

It's fair to say at this point the Foundation does not provide effective
guidance for use of cryptographic functions, or even what that means.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)