www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using 3rd party code under Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 3.0 Germany license
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2014 19:40:31 GMT
I am not a lawyer or expert, but it always seemed to me that the Creative Commons
licenses are not very well suited for code. The Creative Commons FAQ also
recommends against this

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#Can_I_use_a_Creative_Commons_license_for_software.3F

Maybe you could contact the provider of the software you want to use and ask them
whether they could consider switching their license. If they do not like commercial
usage, it probably won't help your immediate need, as they are unlikely to switch
to a commercial-friendly licenseā€¦ but well, you never know. In any case, it would
may help keeping code free of CC licenses.

Just my 2 cents,

-- Richard

On 22.01.2014, at 17:04, Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kevan & Craig,
>

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:55 PM, <legal-discuss-digest-help@apache.org> wrote:
> Using 3rd party code under Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 3.0
Germany license