www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Using 3rd party code under Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 3.0 Germany license
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2014 01:43:27 GMT

On Jan 20, 2014, at 4:51 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Tue Jan 14 2014 at 1:24:38 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> Hopefully a quick message to inquire about the suitability of using 3rd party code licensed
under the above license [0] within an Apache project.
> I have never used CC licensed code within an Apache product before so one thing that
concerns me is the textual content "You may not use the material for commercial purposes."...
and what would happen if someone were to then use the Apache product in a commercial setting?
> Can anyone help me out to fully understand the license compatibility issues here please?
>
> In general, license information can be found here -- http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html
>
> I don't see a formal classification there (or in previous discussions on legal-discuss)
for CC-NC-SA. IMO, it's not acceptable for inclusion within an ASF project -- because of the
non-commercial restriction.

Yes. For an Apache project, NC is a non-starter.

Craig

> --kevan

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle