www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Are there any legal repercussions for banning users from mailing lists?
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2014 19:56:26 GMT
On 20/01/2014 16:27, Rob Weir wrote:

> Any thoughts on this?  Is there any risk to the ASF or our volunteers
> in moderating mailing lists or banning disruptive users?

If this were any other project, I'd suggest replying to one of their
mails along the lines of:

"With my moderator hat on I'd ban this idiot but while they are largely
clueless they do appear to have enough of a clue to be able just
re-subscribe with a new e-mail address. That makes banning fairly
pointless. I suggest you do one of:
- add this idiot to your spam filter
- filter them to /dev/null with procmailrc (my favourite)
- etc"

However, this is OpenOffice and I suspect many of the list subscribers
do not have the knowledge and/or confidence necessary to deal with this
themselves.

I suggest the moderators come up with a standard "Do not feed the
trolls" reply - or better yet a page on your wiki you can link to and
every time this user or anyone else starts trolling one of the list
moderators simply replies with:

"We recognise that this mail is offensive. Please do not give in to
temptation and reply to it. For more information about how this project
handles such mails and why simply banning subscribers doesn't work see
<link to wiki> ."

I would hope that after a while if their threads are ignored then the
troll will simply go away.

Mark