www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Using 3rd party code under Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 3.0 Germany license
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2014 00:51:23 GMT
On Tue Jan 14 2014 at 1:24:38 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <
lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> Hopefully a quick message to inquire about the suitability of using 3rd
> party code licensed under the above license [0] within an Apache project.
> I have never used CC licensed code within an Apache product before so one
> thing that concerns me is the textual content "You may not use the material
> for commercial purposes."... and what would happen if someone were to then
> use the Apache product in a commercial setting?
> Can anyone help me out to fully understand the license compatibility
> issues here please?

In general, license information can be found here --
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

I don't see a formal classification there (or in previous discussions on
legal-discuss) for CC-NC-SA. IMO, it's not acceptable for inclusion within
an ASF project -- because of the non-commercial restriction.

--kevan