Richard Fontana <rfontana@redhat.com> wrote on 12/07/2013 05:45:03 PM:

> On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 03:02:46PM -0500, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:
>
> [...]
> > You've made tremendously great leaps of reasoning here, especiallysince your
> > conclusion directly contradicts the license author's stated policy
> of creating
> > a license that permits commercial licensing of the code.
>
> The meaning of 'permits commercial licensing of the code' is not clear
> to me.

Most commercial software licenses prohibit modification and redistribution.

CC-BY requires, as I read the language, that you distribute the CC-BY content under terms with authorize modification and redistribution.

To me, that means that the CC-BY license is not compatible with commercial software licenses, since its very likely that you can't take CC-BY licensed software and distribute it under your existing commercial software license.

Does it seem to you that we are going around in circles?

Jeff
Counsel, IBM Software Group