www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: New versions of CC licenses
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:03:36 GMT
"Lawrence Rosen" <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote on 12/04/2013 10:00:31 PM:
> I don't understand that business model at all. Is this really what
> happens with your IPLA? It seems that your problem may be
> inconsistent promises that you made to your own customers involving
> future enhancements to your own products.
>
> In any event, this has nothing to do with Apache projects and our
> software. Why should your promises to your customers prevent Apache
> from including new contributions – including under CC-BY – in our
> projects?

Larry,
    If Apache decides that it no longer wishes to have a licensing model
than enables both commercial and OSS use of its code, that one thing.  But,
until that happens, the fact that CC-BY contradicts a commercial licensing
model, whereas the Apache license does not, should be a sufficient reason
for Apache to be wary about including CC-BY licensed materials in its
projects, your inability to see the conflict notwithstanding.

Jeff
Counsel, IBM Software Group