www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Apache POI project using unlicensed test data
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2013 05:13:49 GMT
Chris,

I am on the Apache POI PMC. Please let us know which file has your copyright, we will investigate
how it came to be included and remove it.

Typically files come in from various sources and often they are attached to a bugzilla. Once
we know which file is yours we should be able to track how it came in.

If you would rather make contact in private then please contact private@poi.apache.org (cc'd
on this reply.)

Regards,
Dave

On Dec 12, 2013, at 10:15 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:

> Have you contacted the Apache POI project about this issue?  If you believe that your
IP is being used improperly by an Apache project, typically the most effective way to remedy
this is to contact that specific Apache project and ask for a remedy.  Be sure to be specific
as to what the IP is (as you are), and to be clear in your request (i.e. do you insist that
they remove this IP, or acknowledge it's license, or what?)

way to contact the project community, which is what I'd recommend; in this case, looking here
http://poi.apache.org/mailinglists.html  you can see you'd want to email:

>  dev@poi.apache.org
>
> If you do not get an appropriate answer from the Apache POI project, then I'd recommend
coming back here and noting that.

> The Apache Software Foundation and all Apache projects only accept willing donations
of IP.  As a non-profit public charity, we have no wish to mis-use anyone else's IP, and we
most certainly will investigate and take action for any verifiable claims that the ASF or
any of it's projects have misused third party IP.