www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Luis Villa <l...@lu.is>
Subject Re: New versions of CC licenses
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 04:34:41 GMT
On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> > based on what I know of ... what the embedded device/media-handling
>
> > device world assumes about Apache software, the addition of 2.5/3.0
>
> > to Category A was in error.
>

> Please explain what that device/media-handling world assumes about Apache
> software.

That the licenses software released by the Apache project is licensed under
(i.e., Category A) are as or more permissive than AL 2.0 - i.e., no
significant limitations on use other than attribution. (The CC TPM clause
has historically been a significant limitation for many modern use cases.)

> Is there something specific on our website that leads to those
assumptions?

That licenses permissible for "being a dependency to an Apache product"
must be "similar in terms" to the Apache License[1]; with the common
understanding being that the key measure of "similarity" is permissiveness,
as that is widely considered to be the most important and distinctive
feature of the Apache License.

Luis

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a