www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Luis Villa <l...@lu.is>
Subject Re: The facts concerning the W3C CC-BY experiment as I understand them
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2013 17:06:33 GMT
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:

> > I believe it is essential that we stay fully in
> > synchrony with W3C licensing policies -- indeed that we /lead/ them --
> which
> > is why participation by our members at W3C is so important.
>
> I trust that the W3C can, on its own, develop license terms that
> permit the implementations it wishes.

W3C is not expert in how open source licenses actually work, so their
proposals are often problematic despite professed interest in open source
implementations. (Without Larry at PSIG, there is not a lot of deep open
source licensing expertise in W3C licensing discussions - basically me.)

And W3C has plenty of participants (*cough*Oracle*cough*) who have a proven
track record of subverting standards-like work to their own ends.

So if Apache wishes to continue to implement W3C specs, I'd strongly
suggest that Apache's active presence at PSIG and the AB is necessary, not
just passive acceptance of proposed changes.

Luis