www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: New versions of CC licenses
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:24:06 GMT
On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2013, at 9:10 PM, Jeffrey Thompson <jthom@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > I understand, but Apache's policy of public offers doesn't change the
> law of copyright licensing.
>
> I understand that, but I'm still now sure where and how this
> affects us, the ASF. If this whole discussion is based on
> actions or policies that the ASF doesn't take part in, then
> I fail to see how this is an ASF issue.

One way to resolve this discussion would be to recognize that we don't have
consensus and remove Creative Commons Attribution
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/>2.5 and 3.0 (commonly referred
to as either CC-A or CC-BY) from the Previously Asked Questions page[1]
entirely.

I suggest that we will have a much easier time dealing with specific
questions like whether or not a specific PMC can ship a specific slide deck
that is licensed under CC-BY as accompanying documentation for their
project.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html