www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: New versions of CC licenses
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:49:46 GMT
On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> Sam Ruby wrote:
>
> > It is my understanding that one could take a product released under the
> Apache License, Version 2.0, incorporate it into a product, and release the
> result under the terms of GPL v3.  I believe that a similar statement can
> be made concerning MPL v2.  And for various proprietary licenses.
>

> That is right. *And vice versa* (excluding proprietary licenses) as long
> as by /incorporate/ you don't mean /create and distribute a derivative
> work/.

Again, I may have been unclear.

Perhaps a concrete example would help.

I believe that LibreOffice may take the SVG import feature from Apache Open
Office, modify it as they see fit -- thereby creating a derivative work --
and release the result under the terms of LGPLv3.  Furthermore, they are
under no obligation to either contribute this result back to Apache Open
Office, nor are they even required to license the derivative work that they
produced under the terms of the Apache License, Version 2.0.

For reference:

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/good_news_libreoffice_is_integrating

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/license/

Am I mistaken in my understanding?