www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: New versions of CC licenses
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:15:46 GMT
On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> Sam Ruby wrote:
>

> > My understanding is that the Apache License, Version 2 is widely
> considered to be "compatible" with both licenses, in the sense that Apache
> code may be incorporated into products that are released under the Mozilla
> and GPL licenses.
>
> And my understanding is that the reverse is also true, as long as you
> don't try to distribute a derivative work of Mozilla or GPL software under
> the Apache License.

I may have been unclear.  It is my understanding that one could take a
product released under the Apache License, Version 2.0, incorporate it into
a product, and release the result under the terms of GPL v3.  I believe
that a similar statement can be made concerning MPL v2.  And for various
proprietary licenses.

All one needs to do is to comply with the terms of the Apache License, none
of which preclude you from doing the above.

What am I missing?

- Sam Ruby