www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: New versions of CC licenses
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2013 10:24:23 GMT
On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM, Richard Fontana <rfontana@redhat.com> wrote:

> So if there is a reason to keep CC BY 4.0 (or, retroactively, earlier
> versions of CC BY) out of 'Category A', it should not be for this
> reason.

Clearly you and Jeff differ over this.  Fair enough.

But during the course of this discussion, we have established that there
are some licenses that are less restrictive than the Apache License.  And
some that are more restrictive.  And that while the ASF welcomes
contributions back, it doesn't require them.  In fact, we welcome people to
create derivative works and distribute those works under different
(specifically: more restrictive) terms.  Furthermore, absolutely nobody has
taken the position that should this be done that it in any way affects the
ability of others to obtain and use the original (unenhanced) version.

To facilitate the creation of such derivative works, the ASF makes an
attempt to avoid including works that are provided under licenses that are
more restrictive than the ASF's own license.

CC-By appears to be such a license.  Whether or not you agree with Jeff, it
is the case that both the Mozilla foundation and the FSF have deemed that
CC-BY is incompatible with their licenses.  Producing software that is
consumable by people that use the latest versions of those licenses is an
explicit goal of the ASF.

Further reading:

I would suggest that we go ahead and resolve that JIRA at this time.

- Sam Ruby