www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: New versions of CC licenses
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2013 21:42:41 GMT
On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> I wrote to Jeff Thompson:
>
> > As long as you honor the requirements of Apache License 2.0,
> > including section 4, then I will retract.
>
> Jeff Thompson responded:
>
> > I don't see any quotes, so I take that as an indication that you had
> misunderstood this discussion and you have no actual support for your
> previous allegations.  Can we please keep this discussion at least
> tangentially related to the matter at hand?
>
> I seem to recall you saying earlier in this long thread that IBM does not
> need to pass along the Apache license for copies and derivative works of
> ASF software that you distribute. Is that the case or not? That would be a
> violation of AL2, Section 4.

 I encourage you to provide a citation where he made that statement.

Sam Ruby wrote:

> > It is bad enough that you made a public accusation without any
> evidence.
>

> I thought I was quoting Jeffrey. If not, I'm sure he'll correct me, and
> I'm eager to be shown I'm wrong.
>

> In the meantime, I would appreciate your recusing yourself from this
> discussion about IBM policies and practices regarding Apache software.

This is not a discussion about IBM policies and practices.  If you know of
a specific violation by IBM, I encourage you to provide something more than
an accusation.  If you indeed find something, I will readily recuse myself
from THAT discussion.

> Before on this list, in the middle of a discussion we were having with
> Jeff, you closed down the discussion about an earlier JIRA issue and sided
> with your own IBM company attorney. You are personally entitled to do so,
> but as a board member at Apache you should avoid any conflict of interest,
> particularly for something as important as IBM's procedures for
> distributing Apache software and derivative works thereof and for
> acknowledging the copyrights and licenses of Apache and its contributors.

No decisions were made, the relevant JIRA is still open.

There was a separate JIRA where you misunderstood the intent and scope of a
W3C experiment, and you, yourself, marked that as closed.

> /Larry

- Sam Ruby