www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New versions of CC licenses
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2013 15:37:08 GMT
On 9 December 2013 14:53, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Stephen Connolly <
> stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> It seems to me that the structure of phrasing and document structure
>> makes it crystal clear that 2.a.5.A and 2.a.5.B are referring to one and
>> the same thing, namely the implicit offer from the original Licensor of
>> Licensed Rights to any downstream recipient irrespective of any 3rd party
>> license agreements that were involved in the downstream recipient becoming
>> a downstream recipient.
>>

> How does this work if the content in question is modified by either the
> ASF or by the licensee?
>

>From reading it, I see there is

> 3.a.4 If You Share Adapted Material You produce, the Adapter's License
You apply must not prevent recipients of the Adapted Material from
complying with this Public License.

So from that and

> 1.b *Adapter's License* means the license You apply to Your Copyright and
Similar Rights in Your contributions to Adapted Material in accordance with
the terms and conditions of this Public License.

if we are modifying and distributing *the modifications* under AL2.0, as
long as we comply with CC-BY 4.0 (i.e. NOTICE) and as long as we do not
prevent others from receiving their license grant to the original
unmodified Licensed Material then it would seem to me from my pedantic
mathematical logical interpretation that it could well be Cat A.... but I
know nothing of the imperfect ways of the law... esp when said law is based
on at least 3 different traditions and need interpretation with respect to
many countries to be fully of use...