www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache POI project using unlicensed test data
Date Tue, 24 Dec 2013 15:44:54 GMT
On 17/12/2013 Kevan Miller wrote:
> Personally, blaming Raiko for the problem is missing the mark. Raiko was
> asked to attach a problematic .ppt and did so. Given the discussion in
> the bug, there should have been more oversight of the contribution.
> Someone from POI should have verified with Raiko before the file was
> added to Apache SVN.

Note that this may happen in OpenOffice too: users often open a bug
report and attach a sample file to better describe the bug, and they
might well forget to check that they have permission to contribute the file.

We will definitely keep this in mind for OpenOffice too, and we'll
double-check if we move a file from Bugzilla to SVN (we currently don't
do it). I doubt we will ever include a test document into a release, but
in that case we'll be very careful too.

Regards,
   Andrea.