www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Fontana <rfont...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: New versions of CC licenses
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2013 22:03:15 GMT
On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 09:03:36AM -0500, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:
>     If Apache decides that it no longer wishes to have a licensing model than
> enables both commercial and OSS use of its code, that one thing.  But, until
> that happens, the fact that CC-BY contradicts a commercial licensing model,

Even accepting your whole argument, you have not shown that CC BY
contradicts commercial licensing models in general (leaving aside the
issue of creating an opposition between commercial and open
source). The GPL also doesn't contradict commercial licensing models,
but it does constrain the range of what those models can be.

You seem to be arguing that CC BY contradicts *one* commercial
licensing model, namely one in which it is difficult for the
commercial vendor to update an old license that is regarded as being
in conflict with later-added CC BY stuff. But -- for example --
clearly CC BY need not contradict commercial licensing models where CC
BY material is included in the product from the beginning. So I think
you are using a really narrow definition of "commercially unfriendly".

- RF