www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Fontana <rfont...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: New versions of CC licenses
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2013 21:30:47 GMT
On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 10:15:25AM -0500, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:

> CC-BY is not commercially friendly.  It states that the commercial user MUST
> pass on all rights and cannot prohibited modification or distribution (at least
> as to those components).
[...]
> Thankfully, most OSS project
> select established licenses and many choose licenses that permit the code to be
> distributed under other terms (as long as the rights passed on are a subset of
> what is received).

You keep asserting this but I do not think you are correct. The
general rule in the US, though it is a state law issue, is that you
need explicit permission to pass on a proper subset of rights received
as to the original material. CC BY clearly denies this permission. I
think the Apache License 2.0 is best read as denying this right, and
that view is consistent with what I've heard some ASF people say on
this list (for example, in one of the AOO vs. LibreOffice threads that
came up a year or so ago).

 - Richard