www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Fontana <rfont...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: New versions of CC licenses
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2013 03:19:00 GMT
On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 04:52:07PM -0800, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Jeffrey Thompson wrote:
>
> > There is no general copyright principle that says that a licensee has
> > to pass on all rights that it received from its licensor.  If you can provide
> > a cite to one, please do.
>
> How does IBM avoid passing on those rights?

I believe Jeffrey is correct about general principle, but the issue
depends on the specific license, does it not? It is not clear to me
where in the Apache License 2.0 permission is granted to a licensee to
pass on fewer than all the rights it received from its licensor as to
the work which the licensor licensed. (Or maybe I should say the
better interpretation of the Apache License 2.0 seems to be that it
does not.)

- Richard