www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: New versions of CC licenses
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:00:59 GMT

On Dec 9, 2013, at 5:52 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> What we should NOT do, please, is to keep treating third party licenses in an ad hoc
fashion as we've been doing for the past few years. This isn't just about CC-BY. There are
lots of copyrighted works in the wild that might be excellent contributions for Apache projects.
It makes no sense to analyze each of them in our current haphazard way, divining the meaning
of Apache's ambiguous Third Party License Policy anew each time another license is proposed.

To be blunt, I think that the understanding of our
policy regarding 3rd party licenses is well understood
enough to help make those determinations. What causes
problems is the conflicting legal opinions on how
various licenses interact with that policy, or even
if it affects or touches the policy at all. I think
that this thread shows that the core tenets of our
policy are well understood enough.

> But with Jim's suggestion in the wind, and with me and others out of wind, I'm winding
this thread down. I'll only speak up to object if anyone tries to short circuit the discussion
that Jim suggests should take place with Creative Commons or tries to decide this issue before
it is fully understood.

I agree.

BTW, I've been made aware that the CC's GC is on-route to
a conference and will be unavailable for a non-insignificant
amount of time, so we will need to put this on hold for
a bit of time. Until then, we are in a holding pattern.

Thx to all for their time and legal insights...

Cheers.