www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: New versions of CC licenses
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2013 21:26:13 GMT
I wrote to Jeff Thompson:

> As long as you honor the requirements of Apache License 2.0,
> including section 4, then I will retract.

Jeff Thompson responded:
> I don't see any quotes, so I take that as an indication that you had
misunderstood this discussion and you have no actual support for your
previous allegations.  Can we please keep this discussion at least
tangentially related to the matter at hand?

I seem to recall you saying earlier in this long thread that IBM does not
need to pass along the Apache license for copies and derivative works of ASF
software that you distribute. Is that the case or not? That would be a
violation of AL2, Section 4.

Sam Ruby wrote:

> It is bad enough that you made a public accusation without any evidence.

I thought I was quoting Jeffrey. If not, I'm sure he'll correct me, and I'm
eager to be shown I'm wrong.

In the meantime, I would appreciate your recusing yourself from this
discussion about IBM policies and practices regarding Apache software.
Before on this list, in the middle of a discussion we were having with Jeff,
you closed down the discussion about an earlier JIRA issue and sided with
your own IBM company attorney. You are personally entitled to do so, but as
a board member at Apache you should avoid any conflict of interest,
particularly for something as important as IBM's procedures for distributing
Apache software and derivative works thereof and for acknowledging the
copyrights and licenses of Apache and its contributors.

/Larry

> >     What conversation have you been following?  If you're going to
> > accuse me and/or IBM of violating the Apache license, please provide
> > specific statements that I've made that support those accusations.
> > If any statements that I've made have been misconstrued, I'll
> > clarify them.  If you can't produce any statements that I've made
> > that support your allegations, I expect a retraction.

> As long as you honor the requirements of Apache License 2.0,
> including section 4, then I will retract.

I don't see any quotes, so I take that as an indication that you had
misunderstood this discussion and you have no actual support for your
previous allegations.  Can we please keep this discussion at least
tangentially related to the matter at hand?

Jeff
Counsel, IBM Software Group