www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: New versions of CC licenses
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:41:22 GMT
Sam, thanks for finding that blog post [1]. Here's the final sentence of that post:

For the advantage of all users, I encourage everyone interested in working on the OpenOffice
codebase to draw his own conclusions. Mine are clear; help us at Apache or be so kind to release
it on Apache, too. That's the way to reach the broadest possible user base for your feature.
A lot of users will thank you for it :-)

I am delighted to read this. The notion that our contributors would also want to cooperate
with other non-Apache projects by contributing to both is one of the blessings of the open
source development paradigm.  And because /that contributor/ gave /his contribution/ to /both/
Apache and LibreOffice, there is no license incompatibility for us or LibreOffice to worry
about. This situation is simple to analyze and has nothing to do with the issue we're now
debating.

Note also that this blog post isn't an official Apache announcement that our Apache License
can be ignored by LibreOffice. The comments on that blog post ["Great work" and "this is cool"]
have no relationship to Apache Foundation policy or licensing requirements.

/Larry

[1] https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/good_news_libreoffice_is_integrating

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw & Einschlag, a technology law firm ( <http://www.rosenlaw.com/> www.rosenlaw.com)