www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: New versions of CC licenses
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 21:48:44 GMT
> What do you mean by "distribute them under different licenses"?

I mean precisely what we at Apache (and many other FOSS projects) do with
BSD and MIT software that we include in our software. I also mean what
projects do who take Apache software and distribute it under the GPL, or
companies under proprietary licenses.

We encourage that! We even allow sublicensing for those who want to add more
terms and conditions.

But we don't claim that it affects in any way the underlying license for the
included software.

You keep saying that you can give fewer rights than you got from the
original licensor. Maybe so in some negotiated commercial transaction with
unsophisticated customers, but you can't take away rights that the original
licensor gave to the entire world. No FOSS licensor has ever said you could
do that.

As for what FSF says, I'd encourage them to speak for themselves here. But I
don't believe they have ever successfully prevented any software distributor
from combining GPL software /in the non-derivative-work way/ with other FOSS
software under a single non-GPL collective work license. And I've never
heard of them threatening any Apache project that might want to do that
combination for the convenience of its customers. They can rest assured that
their GPL license remains intact on their GPL software for the entire world
to use.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw & Einschlag, a technology law firm (www.rosenlaw.com