www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: New versions of CC licenses
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 03:25:40 GMT
Luis Villa wrote:

> ... lots of fine licenses, including the one I wrote, aren't in Category
A. :)

Although they should be. There is no reason why (e.g.,) Mozilla software
can't be combined with Apache software and distributed collectively as an
Apache-licensed work, as long as that combination can be justified by an
Apache project on technical grounds as the best solution for Apache
customers. Neither license is viral. The MPL license is
commercially-friendly, isn't it? Just disclose that combination in the
NOTICE file so that nobody downstream is surprised. :-)

> based on what I know of ... what the embedded device/media-handling

> device world assumes about Apache software, the addition of 2.5/3.0

> to Category A was in error.

Please explain what that device/media-handling world assumes about Apache
software. Is there something specific on our website that leads to those
assumptions?

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw & Einschlag, a technology law firm (www.rosenlaw.com