www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jaroslaw Cwiklik <uim...@gmail.com>
Subject Trademark question
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2013 14:53:12 GMT
Hi, I am a release manager for UIMA-DUCC, an Apache project currently in
UIMA incubator.

I ran a trademark search for the term DUCC and found a hit "MD-DUCC"

Its description can be found here:
http://www.trademarkia.com/mdducc-85389293.html

The UIMA-DUCC short description:

"DUCC stands for Distributed UIMA Cluster Computing. DUCC is a cluster
management system providing tooling,management, and scheduling facilities
to automate the scale-out of applications written to the UIMA
framework.Core UIMA provides a generalized framework for applications that
process unstructured information such as human language, but does not
provide a scale-out mechanism. UIMA-AS provides a scale-out mechanism to
distribute UIMA pipelines over a cluster of computing resources, but does
not provide job or cluster management of the resources.DUCC defines a
formal job model that closely maps to a standard UIMA pipeline. Around this
job model DUCC provides cluster management services to automate the
scale-out of UIMA pipelines over computing clusters."

I am wondering if our use of DUCC for a project name is legal. Seems like
MD-DUCC is in an entirely different software domain but I want to be sure
we are not opening ourselves for a legal challenge from
Decimator Design Pty, Ltd
an Australian company.

Awaiting your response
Jerry Cwiklik