www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2013 18:17:23 GMT
On 30/10/13 05:34, Emmanuel L├ęcharny wrote:
> First of all, I'd like to debunk a myth :
>
> Psudo-code is *not* code. It's basically what we call an algorithm.
> That some layers confurse those two terms is understandable. Larry,
> you can't make ths confusion, being a layer *and* a coder.

W3C specifications may contain material that can directly copied into a
generator to get executable code without a programming step: for
example: BNF and WebIDL.

(I don't know if any projects current do that - I mention it because
such material is already in specs and is W3C Document Licensed.)

I don't believe W3C intends, or intended, to put in such restrictions.
It's just that the document/software split is no longer clear cut.  PSIG
did not manage to split the concepts.

> And again, until we have a project starting to implement anything
> produced by the W3

I can't speak for other projects but for Jena, I believe we are not
affected but it is for an unusual reason.  The BNF for the SPARQL
language is produced from the javacc in Jena, not the other way round (I
was the spec editor).  The data languages are handwritten RC parsers,
not produced from the spec BNF, only with reference to it.

Other projects may have started form the BNF in any of these cases.  3rd
party libraries may also be affected.

	Andy