www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2013 04:51:16 GMT
Hi Larry,

On 30 Oct 2013, at 2:17 am, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> In particular, I made this request which the Board has refused to respond to:
> I challenge you to find anywhere on our website the written "policy" that Sam invoked
to delay a decision about this and other third party license issues that I raised in LEGAL-179
/and/ several previous JIRA issues. "Policy" DOES NOT MEAN "the VP of Legal Affairs decided".
You should quit inventing policy as you go along.
> Can anyone else among our members please help us find authority for these actions by
the VP of Legal Affairs? I've never seen that officer's actual role described, certainly not
in any way that would provide written guidance for the "policy" that he invokes. I'd like
to see something consistent with our mission statement: "The Foundation provides an established
framework for intellectual property...."

Earlier in that private thread, two links were provided that outline the authority to establish
policy:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2005/board_minutes_2005_06_22.txt
Special Order 6. B. Appoint a Vice President of Legal Affairs

http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2007/board_minutes_2007_03_28.txt
Special Order 8. C. Establish the Legal Affairs Committee

The process of recording specific answered questions was discussed by the Legal Affairs Committee
in March 2008 on this list, and has been in operation since that time. The following statement
of intent was used:
"As much as humanly possible, everything will be by consensus of the Legal Affairs Committee,
though possibly via Lazy Consensus. If there ever is a time that consensus can't be reached,
the decision will fall to the Chair who will keep the board informed on any such issues."

I hope this addresses your question.

Regards,
Brett

--