www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:17:55 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
> The process of recording specific answered questions was discussed by the
> Legal Affairs Committee in March 2008 on this list, and has been in
> operation since that time. The following statement of intent was used:
> "As much as humanly possible, everything will be by consensus of the Legal
> Affairs Committee, though possibly via Lazy Consensus. If there ever is a
> time that consensus can't be reached, the decision will fall to the Chair
> who will keep the board informed on any such issues."

FTR, the culmination of that discussion is in
http://s.apache.org/ramblings (alternative view in
http://markmail.org/message/itifjhnu7nybnm7w).

That statement of intent and its rationale were then recorded in more
authoritative form in http://www.apache.org/legal/ramblings.html, with
a link to it on http://www.apache.org/legal/. The section "Statement
of Intent" of that document records the principle quoted by Brett.

It also documents the reason behind the resolution of LEGAL-179:

    "PMCs will be encouraged to provide specific questions.
    Questions of the form listed above will take priority over
    "here's a problem, solve it for me" types of open ended
    questions."

BR,

Jukka Zitting