www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:45:48 GMT
AFAICT, it all seems quite simple:  there exists a committee which handles
legal affairs at the enjoyment of the board.  That committee has a VP which
is the final position answerable to the board and is thus "holding the
bag," in the end.  The VP and/or committee establishes policy as
collectively it sees fit (VP being slightly "more equal than others");
whether or not that policy is officially encoded someplace is the
committee's business.  If the committee chooses not to formally document
its policy, then when the first of many similar decisions is made, then
we'll call that "ad-hoc."  However, consistency in the resolution of
successive similar issues eventually transcends the "ad-hoc" allegation.
 The principles I have seen consistently portrayed with regard to ASF
third-party licensing issues are:

1.  Permit anything which violates neither the law nor the social policies
of the ASF, and
2.  Defer all decisions until the point at which they are demonstrably
needed.

IMO I have just reverse-engineered Apache legal policy wrt third-party
licensing such as it has been implemented during my own observation.  :)
 Every time I ever approached Sam with a legal question, the answer was
*always* "let's not deal in hypotheticals."  The consistent application of
this approach does constitute a policy, and anyone who has participated to
any degree in Apache legal business over the past few years has IMO had
ample opportunity to see that.  Further, FWIW, principle #2 should come as
a surprise to no one:  firstly, since the foundation is run by volunteer
energy, we must all be very discriminating in prioritizing our efforts.
 Most of us have lives beyond the ASF or the broader OSS community, as
important as these are.  Secondly, since the focus of the ASF is the
development of software, it seems quite fitting that the similar concept of
"premature optimization" manifests itself even in a non-software-related
aspect of ASF business.

Matt

and members@(an internal list).