www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Author of Apache License V2
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 20:23:00 GMT
A bit of additional history that is hearsay but perhaps confirmable....

I heard several years
later that the principal legal input during drafting of ALv2, particularly
for its patent-related provisions, came from IBM attorneys. I also heard
that there were objections to certain ALv2 provisions from FSF and its
attorneys at the time that may have resulted in wording changes during the
drafting process. (Nevertheless ALv2 was deemed /incompatible/ with GPLv2, a
problem which persisted until GPLv3.) FWIW, I wrote at the time that ALv2
was "much more robust" and "a dramatic improvement over its predecessor."

People also told me that Roy Fielding was the principle leader of the ALv2
drafting effort within ASF.

Drafting that license was not a widespread community effort that involved
many folks outside of Apache Software Foundation at the time. In 2004, as I
was writing my book about open source licensing, ASF announced that its
board of directors had approved ALv2. That came as a surprise to me and many
others, but we liked it. OSI approved ALv2 almost immediately, of course.
:-)

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482