www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2013 18:25:09 GMT

On Oct 29, 2013, at 9:03 AM, C. Bergström <cbergstrom@pathscale.com> wrote:

> Isn't a case-by-case analysis a reasonable way to deal with this issue? (I don't know
if my understanding is perfectly clear with what's really happening - seems like this best
describes it from your email)
> -----
> Looking at it another way - has the current "informal" handling of this ever failed or
produced an undesirable outcome? Larry - if you fail - what's the doomsday outcome? (If it
ain't toooo broken - don't fix it?)

> You seem very passionate about this and keep your friends and allies happy - the carrot
approach may take more time, but could be the best way to win in the long term... If there's
no critical need *right now* - Let it go for a bit and revisit when people have the patience
to engage again..

I would go one step further by saying if you want to get an answer to the Jira issue then
find a concrete need for it at the ASF.  If you can’t do that no one here is going to want
to spend any effort on it.  If you can find some real world use where an existing project
needs the question answered at that point I am sure the question will be answered. Reading
the Jira issue I just don’t see why any current ASF project needs this issue resolved.

Ralph