www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do the NOTICE and LICENSE files have to be at the top level of SCM?
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2013 16:27:19 GMT
On 13 September 2013 17:02, Tim Williams <williamstw@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 3:11 AM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 12, 2013, at 9:33 AM, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> The Maven PMCs current understanding is that the answer is no. These files need
to be in the source distributions published on each project's dist dir in the Apache web site.

>> My answer would be yes, the files do need to be there.
>>
>> It seems like a very good practice to keep LICENSE/NOTICE files in obvious places.
It certainly seems helpful for our users… And yes, IMO, the files should be in both our
source distributions and our svn. And, finally, I'd say that the most *obvious* place for
these files is the root release points (e.g. branches/trunk directories) of the project.

> I wonder how it's helpful to users?  I don't see what an end user
> could infer from the LICENSE/NOTICE files since they apply only to a
> specific release artifact not the whole source tree (necessarily).

IMO they should apply to the source tree - as if it were a source release.

> Some projects maintain two sets - one for the binary convenience
> artifact and the other for the source release - and the files at the
> root of the tree are the default for one of the two, but only a dev
> knows which of the two:)

Again, if there are different N&L files for the binary artifacts,
those should be in a different folder and/or clearly distinguished as
belonging to the binary releases only.