www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Serious problem with the Apache Contributor's License Agreement (CLA) v2.0
Date Sun, 15 Sep 2013 16:14:47 GMT
 Hi Tao,

say, as President of the ASF, please give us a little time to consider your
comments.

The legal documentation and structure of the ASF was created by many
lawyers and scrutinized by a great many more. The processes and
documentation used here have been approved by a representatives from
many organizations that would have considered the possible interpretation
you highlight. Our formal consideration of your request needs to take this
into account.

Please remember that this is a discussion list populated by people who are
not lawyers (like me). Our Vice President of Legal Affairs is unlikely to
make a statement here without examining the details carefully. He will
consider the questions you raise, will consult with counsel if necessary
and if appropriate will make a formal statement. Until then it is best to
assume that the referenced FAQ entry, which was written in response to
similar enquiries, remains the position of the ASF.

Thank you for raising your concerns. It is important that we consider all
such concerns and we can't do so unless people provide well researched and
informed argument such as your posts. Such discussion is what this list is
for, I can assure you that VP Legal Affairs is reading and considering.

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)