www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Serious problem with the Apache Contributor's License Agreement (CLA) v2.0
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2013 21:19:59 GMT
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Tao Effect <contact@taoeffect.com> wrote:

> The patent terms are with respect to the work, which is the thing you
> downloaded, or in the case of clause 5, the thing you modified. Your
> concern about future code changes affecting what you contributed don't have
> grounds here.
>

> This is incorrect. The "Work" is not the "thing I downloaded". Neither is
> the "work" the combination of the "the thing I downloaded" with my
> contribution.
>
> If that were the case, then when Numenta, or Apache, released their
> software ("the work") for download and/or purchase, it would no longer be
> covered by the patent license, because by that time it would no longer be
> "the thing I downloaded", nor would it likely even be "the thing I
> downloaded" + my contributions.

I think you are confusing copyright and patent law.

Patent law governs the ideas behind the mechanism.  Copyright governs the
specific form.

Even with copyright, there is the concept of a derivative work, but the
issue here is that your license covers the stuff that you donate and the
combination with the ideas in the work at the time of your donation.

IANAL, of course.