www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do the NOTICE and LICENSE files have to be at the top level of SCM?
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2013 17:09:32 GMT
On Friday, 13 September 2013, sebb wrote:

> On 13 September 2013 17:31, Stephen Connolly
> <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > On 13 September 2013 08:11, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:

> project's
> >>
> >> My answer would be yes, the files do need to be there.
> >>
> >> It seems like a very good practice to keep LICENSE/NOTICE files in
> obvious
> >> places. It certainly seems helpful for our users… And yes, IMO, the
> files
> >> should be in both our source distributions and our svn. And, finally,
> I'd
> >> say that the most *obvious* place for these files is the root release
> points
> >> (e.g. branches/trunk directories) of the project.
> >>
> >> Projects that I'm aware of have all followed this general practice. And
> >> haven't noticed that it was a terrible burden for them.
> >>
> >> If we need to resolve Jira's / make documentation clearer/dogmatic, we
> can
> >> do that...
> >

> > The problem is:
> >
> > Projects built by Maven have *LOTS* of potential check-out points...
> > basically everywhere there is a pom.xml in Subversion, that is a
> potential
> > checkout directory...
> >
> > But our release roots are a lot fewer...
> >
> > With GIT things are easier, you'd just put the LICENSE and NOTICE files
> at
> > the root of the git repo and be done... because you cannot checkout part
> of
> > a GIT repository... you have to clone the whole thing or do complex
> things
> > such that you'd kind of have to know that you might not be seeing
> > everything.
> >
> > Subversion is much more lax.
> >
> > How we have traditionally solved this is by having Maven generate these
> > files and put the resulting files into the source bundle (i.e.
> .src.tar.gz
> > and .src.zip) that we put into dist (the source bundle is distinct from
> the
> > IDE helper -sources.jar file... the source bundle is a buildable complete
> > release while the -sources.jar file is just a convenience for IDE users)
> >

> Surely the source bundle corresponds to a part of the SVN tree?
>
> Where one finds the POM that builds the source and packages it?
>
> For example.
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-compiler-plugin/

That is a release root, in other words it is a bit we release at its own
cadence.

The SCM project root is:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/

And oh look there are LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt files there which are
supposed to apply for all projects in that SCM trunk

Now that they have the .txt extension is a different issue, but let's put
that aside from this issue.

Technically what we have done is put those license files into the maven
repository when releasing the root pom and then the child projects pull
them back down again.

>From that view SCM is not the whole truth of our source, but given that
maven repositories are write once and all the content is held on ASF
managed server (repository.apache.org) that to me is not an issue.

The real issue at hand is do we need to have 50-100 copies of LICENSE and
NOTICE in every subfolder of
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/ just because somebody
could checkout and build that folder by virtue of the SCM being Subversion?