www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Do the NOTICE and LICENSE files have to be at the top level of SCM?
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2013 16:33:03 GMT
The Maven PMCs current understanding is that the answer is no. These files
need to be in the source distributions published on each project's dist dir
in the Apache web site.

Some other people have a different opinion, e.g. see below.

We would like clarification.

Thanks

-Stephen

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>
Date: 12 September 2013 17:20
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Maven 3.1.1
To: Maven Developers List <dev@maven.apache.org>

On 12 September 2013 14:52, Arnaud Héritier <aheritier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10 September 2013 16:33, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > -1
>> >
>> > The src.tar.gz and src.zip files have lost their top level NOTICE and
>> LICENSE files.   This is a regression from 3.1.0 (and 3.0.5).   That
>> definitely needs to be fixed.  I don't have time today to look into that,
>> but might tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it.
>>
>> The N&L files should also be present at the top-level of SCM.
>> That is not a release-blocker per se, however if they had been there
>> they would likely also be in the source archives at the top-level,
>> which is a release blocker IMO.
>>

> Like we already say I think we aren't convinced about this because it will
> imply to recopy these files across ~50 projects (plugins, shared libs) and
> thus update them the day we'll decide/need to do it. That's why we always
> prefered to bundle them at build time.

The point is:
the N&L files should be at the top-level of SCM.
That is because SCM URLs are published, so the readers need to know
the what the license conditions are.

The fact that having the N&L files there would likely have ensured
they were in the source archive is an added bonus; it's not the
primary reason for having them at the top-level of SCM.