www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do the NOTICE and LICENSE files have to be at the top level of SCM?
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2013 07:11:43 GMT

On Sep 12, 2013, at 9:33 AM, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Maven PMCs current understanding is that the answer is no. These files need to be
in the source distributions published on each project's dist dir in the Apache web site.

My answer would be yes, the files do need to be there.

It seems like a very good practice to keep LICENSE/NOTICE files in obvious places. It certainly
seems helpful for our users… And yes, IMO, the files should be in both our source distributions
and our svn. And, finally, I'd say that the most *obvious* place for these files is the root
release points (e.g. branches/trunk directories) of the project.

Projects that I'm aware of have all followed this general practice. And I haven't noticed
that it was a terrible burden for them.

If we need to resolve Jira's / make documentation clearer/dogmatic, we can do that...

--kevan