www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Mentioning contributions to Apache projects on university homepage
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2013 16:41:43 GMT
If you are talking about webpages for your employer or university, then
factual statements like you quote below are perfectly fine.  When we say
"Community over Code", it's important: factual recognition of the
individuals working on Apache projects is appropriate and often helpful,
to show the larger world that people from various organizations
contribute to Apache projects.

It's often polite to include a link to the project when it's mentioned,
but not strictly required.

The only area to caution other readers about is making statements like
"our employees lead these projects", or "we employ all the committers
on...".  Statements like that often discourage other organizations and
individuals from considering contributing to the project.  (Note: I'm
not at all suggesting that's the case here; I think your wording is
great - I'm more focused on noting it for the public archive 8-)

Thanks for the contributions!

For some background on how Apache projects work independently from
outside organizations, you might want to also share this:

   http://community.apache.org/projectIndependence.html

- Shane

> Hello,
>
> I have recently become a committer on the Apache UIMA project, working on the Apache
uimaFIT sub-project. This work is being supported by my employer, which is the university
group - the UKP Lab - I'm working with. My contributions to uimaFIT are part of a general
move of making our software open source and contributing to community projects. Would there
be any objections against advertising this fact on our groups homepage? In particular, we
have a "software" section where we would consider mentioning something like