www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mentioning contributions to Apache projects on university homepage
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:55:05 GMT
Thank you for your feedback, Shane. We also include links to the projects.

And thanks for the link!

-- Richard

On 12.09.2013, at 18:41, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> If you are talking about webpages for your employer or university, then factual statements
like you quote below are perfectly fine.  When we say "Community over Code", it's important:
factual recognition of the individuals working on Apache projects is appropriate and often
helpful, to show the larger world that people from various organizations contribute to Apache
projects.

> It's often polite to include a link to the project when it's mentioned, but not strictly
required.

> The only area to caution other readers about is making statements like "our employees
lead these projects", or "we employ all the committers on...".  Statements like that often
discourage other organizations and individuals from considering contributing to the project.
 (Note: I'm not at all suggesting that's the case here; I think your wording is great - I'm
more focused on noting it for the public archive 8-)

> Thanks for the contributions!
>
> For some background on how Apache projects work independently from outside organizations,
you might want to also share this:

>  http://community.apache.org/projectIndependence.html
>
> - Shane
>

> On 9/12/13 11:58 AM, Richard Eckart de Castilho wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have recently become a committer on the Apache UIMA project, working on the Apache
uimaFIT sub-project. This work is being supported by my employer, which is the university
group - the UKP Lab - I'm working with. My contributions to uimaFIT are part of a general
move of making our software open source and contributing to community projects. Would there
be any objections against advertising this fact on our groups homepage? In particular, we
have a "software" section where we would consider mentioning something like