www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Right usage of maven coordinates from Apache projects
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2013 07:38:52 GMT
On 04/08/2013 23:42, Christian Mueller wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> Assume Apache Foo is publishing its artifacts to Maven central with the
> coordinates
> org.apache.foo:foo-core:1.0.0
>
> Assume there is a company Bar who builds his product based on Apache
> Foo. Do we allow Bar to publish its modified Apache Foo artifacts with
> the name
> org.apache.foo:foo-core:1.0.0-bar-001
> ?

No. org.apache.* is for the ASF only. Anyone else publishing into the
org.apache namespace would confuse end-users about the source of the
software.

> Make it a difference whether the artifacts are "only" published to a
> freely accessible Maven repository maintained by Bar (and not to Maven
> central)?

No.

> Excuse me, if this is not the appropriate mailing list for such kind of
> question and please forward me to the right one.

This belongs on (the private) trademarks@.a.o (I've moved it to that list)

I'm assuming that there is a specific issue here. If that is the case,
please make sure the details are made available to the private
trademarks@a.o list

Mark