www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Require a copyright notice in source headers
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2013 19:56:24 GMT
I cannot think about things in a way lawyers can. They got their
experience from lawsuits we never want participate in. This makes the
following quite lightweight. I don't request clarifications, this is
just an indication of what general folks (like me) think on the
subject.

1. Shorter headers
>From my general sense files come to existence later then lawyer
practice. This means that from general sense having some cover letters
we can keep files referring the letters instead of containing long
statements

Or maybe the covers are enough. This means if someone copies just
files without covers, we don't care about this case at all. And we
don't really want to - we need to protect those who does things in a
correct way, e.g. keeps covers in place.

2. Copyright
IMHO copyright law practice is different in different countries, thus
sticking to the licenses generally helps importing Apache products.
Sticking to copyrights raises more questions about origins then
answers, the line itself is not an origin proof.
Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

[1] Start using Apache Openmeetings today, http://openmeetings.apache.org/