www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Query On MSFT License
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2013 23:03:40 GMT
On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

> First, concerning the redistributable DLL files, they are not open-source in
> any respect and they’d have to be treated the same as the .NET Framework.
> If you brought those along in an installer, the license should be included
> somehow.  That’s not uncommon.  Of course, those redistributable files
> should not be in the project SVN.

Additionally, there are some very troublesome terms in the EULA, for example:

*  require distributors and external end users to agree to terms that
protect it at least as much as this agreement;
*  indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Microsoft from any claims,
including attorneys’ fees, related to the distribution or use of your
programs.
*  distribute Distributable Code to run on a platform other than the
Windows platform;

We won't pass along restrictions such as these, we won't indemnify
Microsoft, nor will we agree to any field of use restrictions.

Net: I don't see us approving distribution of these DLLs under these
terms.  Alternatives include negotiating a different license with
Microsoft or requiring end users to obtain and install these DLLs
themselves.

- Sam Ruby