www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: distribution to proprietary channels / app stores
Date Sun, 28 Jul 2013 01:28:51 GMT
Hey guys, I've answered this earlier in the thread but, again, yes the
Cordova PMC wants to do this! =)

We do and have done many releases via ./dist but this is different.
We're hoping to release an app that will help users test Cordova based
applications without having to provision a device with the Apple
Developer program themselves. Cordova releases contain code for many
platforms, operating systems, testing utilities, and so on. This is
just a companion app for helping devs get started faster. (This is a
precious distinction but one I think that is worth mentioning.)

My line of inquiry was to determine if there was precedent or policy
here. From what I'm reading the answer is no. I'll link up relevant
documentation from Apple and open issues to that effect.

What if I create an Apple Developer account under the name Apache
Software Foundation? That is the outcome I'm looking for.

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2013, at 8:39 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>
>> To clarify: legal-discuss@ is for general discussions of legal issues related to
Apache projects, however it is not necessarily the place where you will get a definitive policy
answer.

>> If the Apache Cordova PMC does specifically wish to deploy an official release to
the Apple App store, the PMC should probably open a LEGAL JIRA ticket with the details of
specifically what the project wants to do.  That way, we can nail down the specific plans,
and then VP, Legal can work with counsel to review the agreements, etc.

>> I agree with Luciano - the real question is, is this an act of the Apache Cordova
PMC making an official release, or is this just some committers on the project who want to
do this?

> Well, I assume that is the question at hand… If not, then there may not be much to
talk about on legal-discuss… Unless there are questions about licensing/dependencies on
apple software -- in either case, specific questions/scenarios are really helpful.

>> Fundamentally, we need to ensure that when we release Apache software, we ensure
that users of that software have maximum freedoms as specified by the Apache license.  So
I would imagine you would first release a normal Apache release (i.e. on /dist), and then
if the PMC believes it will help the project's users, you would figure out how to then create
an additional release on the App store, because it would be useful to more users.

>> Make sense?
>
> Yes. I imagine similarly.
>
> If the Cordova PMC is interested in pursuing, then I would expect them to have performed
some investigation and have some specific questions/concerns. It would be really helpful to
list (point to) apple's terms and conditions / developer agreements, etc that need to be understood/investigated.
 That way we all don't have to go searching https://developer.apple.com/ for relevant docs.
At the moment, it looks like this may be difficult/impossible. A number of Apple developer
systems are shutdown due to their recent security problems -- https://developer.apple.com/support/system-status/