www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Intake procedure for a manual/large body of documentation
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 09:40:20 GMT
I have a couple of questions regarding the intake of a 200+ page
document as the basis for a user manual:

1. Is the IP Clearance procedure the right one for prose?

2. Does the ICLA cover his work such that a [software] grant is not necessary?

3. How do we relicense the document from CC by-nc-sa 3.0 to ASL 2?

4. How do we apply the ASL to a word (or PDF) document?

1. Is the IP Clearance procedure the right one for prose?

While I know the trials we have to go through to accept a donation of
a body of code, I was wondering if the process of accepting a body of
prose is different? A software grant sounds in title to be aimed at
code rather than prose.

>     WHEREAS, Licensor owns or has sufficient rights to contribute the
> software source code and other related intellectual property as
> itemized on Exhibit A ("Software") under the terms of this agreement
> to the Foundation for use within Foundation software development
> projects ("Projects").

The text of the software grant pertains mostly software and not
documentation (though "other related intellectual property" might
cover that). Exhibit A is annotated with  "Software".

Is the software grant route the correct way of contributing a 200+ document?

2. If the author is joining the project, does the ICLA cover his work,
such that we don't have to bother with the IP Clearance?

3. How do we relicense the document from CC by-nc-sa 3.0 to ASL 2?

The document in question is licensed
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (is included in the
pre-amble).

Does the original author have to remove this license and only then
submit it to apache? Or is the [software] grant enough for us to
remove the CC-by-nc-sa header and move ahead in integrating the
document into our project?

4. How do you license a word document (or PDF) as ASL 2.0? Inclusion
of just the small form header, or the whole license [as an appendix]?

Kindest regards,

Martijn Dashorst