www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Comcast questions re: CCLA
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 03:04:20 GMT
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 7:39 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another way to phrase it is that the ICLA effectively gives the
> Foundation what we need. The CCLA is more about a company stating the
> employee has the right to contribute, but *we* don't really need a
> CCLA. The ICLA already asserts the employee has the right (through
> whatever employer/employee relationship or contract). The CCLA is more
> about corporations clarifying/formalizing that relationship for
> themselves and their employees.

Or put another way...

The boilerplate intellectual property agreements that software developers must
typically sign as terms of their employment are so draconian that it's often
impossible to participate in open source without violating them.  By avoiding
the CCLA and ensuring that the employee is perpetually in breach of their
contract, the employer preserves maximum leverage over their employee in the
event of a dispute.

IANAL, etc.

Marvin Humphrey