www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: project licensing question
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 23:51:30 GMT
On 7/9/13 2:54 PM, Michel Rouly wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> My name is Michel Rouly. I'm working in association with the Florida
> Institute of Technology and the AMALTHEA REU on an undergraduate
> research project built on top of Apache Hadoop and Apache Mahout.

Good luck with your project!

> I have a quick question about the licensing requirements for this
> project. All of our code is being developed under the Apache license. Do
> we need to take any actions outside of citing the Apache license (ie.
> using the disclaimer header in each file) when releasing our code?

We can't give you legal advice; that would need to come from your own
lawyers.  From the ASF's perspective, you need to adhere to the
restrictions in the Apache License in terms of what you do with the
software you download from our projects.  In general, that means you can
do just about anything to build new software using Apache licensed
software, as long as you don't sue and as long as you don't use our
trademarks.

How you license your own software (i.e. the code you write atop Apache
Hadoop or other Apache projects) is up to you.  You are free (and we
encourage!) to use the Apache license yourself:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#My-License

And this is how our own projects use the license, if you want some
background detail on what LICENSE and NOTICE files are for:

   http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html

> One further question - what permission do we need to obtain in order to
> use the Apache Hadoop & Mahout logos on research presentation materials,
> specifically a poster? They would be used in the context of a "Software
> Foundation" section describing the projects we are building on top of.

Our trademark policies are here:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#integrateswith

- Shane