www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Exceptions to the license header requirements
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2013 14:56:56 GMT
On 7/4/13 3:31 PM, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> On Thursday, 4 July 2013, Sam Ruby wrote:
>     If this is the case, then I'm personally comfortable with that plan
>     (others, of course are welcome and encouraged to chime in!).  Perhaps
>     you might consider providing quarterly updates?  For simplicity, this
>     could be folded in as brief comments in the board reports.
>

> I will see if we can roll it into the template we use in an easy
> fashion. This will apply not just to core but also to all our plugin
> releases.
>
>     If/when
>     there is something substantial to discuss, it could be brought back
>     here.
>

> On that basis I read that we are OK to go ahead and continue making
> releases - with the proviso that we take an action item to try and cut
> the number of files down over time to the minimum.

+1 to having Maven include the status of this issue in future board
reports until such time as the most current release complies with all
aspects of ASF licensing/notice policies.

As a whole organization, the ASF is at the point where we need to ensure
that items like this are explicitly noted and reported back on in board
reports.  I'm comfortable with the plan and the timeframe; I just want
to ensure that we as an organization (the board and the Maven PMC as
wholes) are tracking this somewhere recorded.

Note: this is meant as a general comment, not specifically about Maven:
the ASF has enough projects and committers such that we shouldn't rely
solely on individual volunteers following up on a long-term legal task,
rather we should ensure the PMC as a whole knows it needs to follow up,
and we record the results where the board can provide oversight.

Thanks to all for organizing this question and driving it!

- Shane